July's Gladstones/Strobl popularity test

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Mon May 9 03:07:35 CEST 1994

	Dear Folks,

	From a friend back in California I heard what was coming up in
a few months.  These are:

	DDA #28:  Double-sized issue, featuring "Sheriff of Bullet
Valley" by Barks as well as "The Pirates of Slamcrashistan" [or some
other such name, couldn't quite make it out] written by Bob Gregory.
That's presumably drawn by Tony Strobl, then.  I can't imagine that
this takes up the rest of the comic... I'd guess there's a new Danish
story too.

	WDC&S #593:  "Donald's uncle Rumpus comes for a disastrous
visit" in a 10-pager by William Van Horn... anyone know which one this
is?  Then we have the first part of Gottfredson's "Monarch of
Medioka".  There's one story from the albums that I don't mind seeing
again, because that album was too expensive for any kid to afford and
it was only on sale for a MONTH, right at the end of Gladstone's run).
I think the story will reach a lot of folks who will really like it.

	US #288:  LO$ "King of the Copper Hill", plus a backup drawn
by Tony Strobl.

	* * * * *

	According to John Clark, the number of Strobl reprints will
slow substantially soon.  The large number recently (many of which
have not actually come out yet, but which we've read about over the
last while) are meant as an "acid test" of Strobl's popularity.  I
have noticed that they were paired with Barks, Rosa, etc. -- very
sellable things.  This means that a lot of people will buy them
whether or not Strobl would sell on his own:  good news for Gladstone,
and then they can gauge Strobl's popularity based on readers' letters.

	After these, the foreign stories will again be the backups
most of the time.  (I say.... Whew!)

	So if you like Strobl, or if you don't, write in with your
opinion, when you see these stories!  They are (or will be, as
in the cases of those surrounded by <angle-brackets>):

	USA 26:  "Uncle Scrooge and Money"
	DDA 26:  "Donald in Mathmagic Land"
	<WDC 592>  (A 32-page section of various Strobl stories)
	<DM 25>:  "This Is Your Life, Donald Duck"
	<DDA 28>:  "The Pirates of Slamcrashistan"
	<US 288>:  (That 11-pager, identity unknown)

	Good night, all!

	David Gerstein
	"I'm de Fuller Brush Man!  I'm givin' g'way free semple!"
	<David.A.Gerstein at Williams.edu>