Disney-comics digest #329.

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Mon May 16 05:02:01 CEST 1994

	Dear Folks,

	Sounds to me like the character in Egmont's "Secret of Shark
Reef" isn't really Eli Squinch, just a rather loose plagiarism of the
character.

	Squinch, as he is to be used regularly in the new Egmont
stories, is being defined strictly from his earlier, Gottfredson
appearances.  Although he was last seen in stories made nearly sixty
years ago, he's being treated now as if he's never been gone!

	Maybe the character in "Shark Reef" was in fact Don Rosa's
villain from "His Majesty McDuck"!!  (Who, if you'll forgive me, Don,
was very like a hybrid of Eli Squinch and Sylvester Shyster... perhaps
that's why I like him so much!)  Akers MacCovet, I mean.

	What's MacCovet called in the foreign editions of Don's story?

	"Ye've been stickin' your big nose into too many things that
*aren't* your *business*, whippersnapper!  And you're going to *pay*
for it!"
	"Oh, *sorry* to have bothered ya, Mr. Squinch!  Such a shame
that you've gotta be leavin'!"
	<David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu>