Disney comics Database (DcD)

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Fri May 27 12:40:59 CEST 1994

Per wrote:
> I've just gotten a bunch of files from Harry which I have now put up
> on ftp (pub/comics/disney at ftp.lysator.liu.se).
>
> It's the first version of the Disney comics Database.

I'll take this opportunity to thank David for his extensive review!

Also, Ole and David sent me updates for the "gladstone-disney.index", which
I didn't put there, but here in the DcD. We now have a lot of entries of
Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers, and the second run of Gladstone is almost
complete! (We are only missing _one_ WDC entry...). Thank you both.

There are still some errors and incomplete data in the DcD. So any comment
is very welcome. Also if you don't like the format or want some data
(not) included: let me know.

A few seconds after I mailed the files to Per I noticed I forgot to include
Ole's new creator abbreviations, and I forgot to include DHi = Don Hinrichsen.
That'll be corrected in version 2..
(Note that a lot of creators now have 3 characters in stead of 2. I thought it
would be better to reserve 2 characters only for artists that appear very
often or are very well known [like CB, DR].)

> That is, it's
> not the "raw" input files, and not the programs that do stuff with
> them, but the lists what those programs make out of it.

I could send the raw data and programs too, but I thought I'd wait until
the first comments are processed.

> I called the new subdirectory for this stuff "index", as this is where
> all index stuff will be in the future.  I guess most of the index
> files in the top Disney comics directory will go away in the future,
> but I haven't deleted anything yet.

The DcD also covers the data from subdirectory "crone", except for the
Swedish reprint data. I plan to make a Swedish database to include this
information, then the crone files would become superfluous.

> What's all this copyright business at the beginning of some of the
> output files?  Surely all these programs and data are to be free?!

All files with extension ".dbl" start with a line like
"output created by DIZNIxxx version 1.0 (c) HWF 1994".

The (c) was meant for the _programs_ (diznirep, diznicom and diznicre).
This does not mean the programs are not free to use or extend, but I would
like to keep my name in them (I spent a lot of time making them).

But you are right that the (c) stuff shouldn't be in the output files.
I'll correct that.

--Harry.