Byron in Finland

Mikko Aittola maittola at snakemail.hut.fi
Sat May 28 20:28:15 CEST 1994

So I visited the Finnish comic-con.

Like Don posted before, Bob Foster didn't attend.
But Byron 'Editor-In-Chief' Erickson was there. Byron demoed some new
Mickey series written by himself ( drawn, if I heard right, Ben Verhagen
(sp?) ) called 'Island' or something. Mickey wears the classic shorts
with two 'buttons'. They are really trying to bring the 'old' Mickey
back! He also told about the upcoming 'journey to the centre of the
earth' story by Don Rosa.

Byron first answered questions made by Finnish Aku Ankka editor
Paula Antila and artist Jukka Murtosaari (has done some covers
for Disney). He also was willing to answer to public's questions,
but only me and one high-school boy were brave enough.

I didn't exactly know what to ask Byron, so I decided
to ask things conserning mainly Finnish editors. Byron
usually commented (or throwed in a joke) something.
I asked why they don't give any credits to artists in Egmont books,
but they really didn't give acceptable answer. After they started to get
information about the creators they planned to publish it, but
Disney told them no. For a while they didn't get the info about
creators at all, and now they get it again, but...

I also asked about upcoming Barks-Van Horn series, but they didn't
know exactly when it is published.

They didn't print Lo$ 1 and 2 in Finland because it was too expensive.
Aku Ankka gets a compilation of Egmont material which they use, but
Lo$ 1&2 wasn't part of the normal compilation, so they didn't print
it. BTW, Lo$ 12 should be out next week in Finland.

I talked also a while with Byron and Paula privately. Paula asked
Byron if Don is a slow artist because of his details. Byron answered
something like: 'No, he just spends too much time on the internet
or talks with someone by phone =) .' And Paula commented 'Yeah, everytime
I speak with this Norwegian editor he mentions that he just talked with
Don.'

Paula also told me that Bark's management sent 1,5 page long letter
to Germany's editors about Barks' and Rosa's trips to Europe. They wanted
to make sure Mr. Rosa isn't even near Germany when Barks is there.

I carefully tiptoed or mentioned to Paula that maybe they could send
Finnish Aku Ankkas to Don.

Paula also would like to have more information about this mailing
list. I think I'm going to write to her and include some material
from 'our' ftp site.
-------> So, is it ok to include, for example, Harry's compilation
of Don Rosa's comments. Should I censore it or mark things like
Don's phone number with 'Not Public Information' ?????  Answer me!!

     /Mikko

PS. I haven't seen WDC #592 yet, but I think it includes
    Van Horn story 'D 92172'. I don't remember the title.