Disney-comics digest #449.

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at compuserve.com
Sat Oct 1 04:21:40 CET 1994

BJORN, EVEN, others:
	How silly of me not to realize that it's the original English
poetry I wrote for "The War of the Wendigo" that you were interested in!
It's to see that script used that I'm anxious to someday see that story
used in America.
	But others would like to see the original art as well, since
that story will very likely never be seen in America. Now we're talking
of many people wanting a set of copies which would be 28 pages of script
with 56 half-pages of art, totaling 84 pages!!! Not to mention the fact
that Egmont would not want me to be sending out this material, and
(though it's a small concern) Disney would regard it as both a copyrite
infringement and an embarrassment involving a banned story.
	Please... let's just forget that story exists until it can
someday be properly printed in America?

RoC:
	What is this "Egmont complete edition" you mention? Edition of
what?
	"Horsing Around with History" is not based on a painting. It is
supposedly based on an idea for a painting which does not exist and
probably never will.

JAMES:
	Barks' 1970s JWW scripts were done as scribbled lay-out pages on
type-writer paper, the same way I do my scripts now. I call them
"storyboard scripts" for lack of a better description. They showed the
characters poses and expressions, but were not intended to be "inked",
and cannot be inked per se. The stories were drawn by Kay Wright and
published in HUEY DEWEY AND LOUIE - JUNIOR WOODCHUCKS back in the
mid-70s.
	However, Barks "storyboard scripts" were done carefully enough
that they can be inked after a fashion. Jippes must have enlarged copies
made then place them on a light-box beneath his paper; then he can trace
the shapes and positions of the character poses, after which he must add
all his own backgrounds and details. So what you have is NOT inked
version of Barks pencils, but artwork that depicts the story exactly as
Barks planned it rather than how Gold Key produced their versions 20
years ago (which did not adhere to the lay-outs very carefully).
	Barks kept copies (or originals) of the scripts and these were
what were used in reproducing the scripts; either the editors obtained
copies from the people that Barks sold them to or from somebody like
Bruce Hamilton who has copies of most everything from Barks' files.

RE. DICK MOORES:
	Why would Dick Moore's comic strip work look so much better than
his Disney comics? As you should be able to gather by now, working on
Disney comics encourages one to do poor work rather than good work.
There's no point in putting much effort into Disney comics when one's
efforts are stolen by the system. The differences are Barks, due to his
old-fashioned work ethic... or some nitwit like me who puts the effort
in for his own enjoyment despite the evils of the white-slavery system.