Disney-comics digest #435.

DAVID.A.GERSTEIN 9475609 at arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk
Mon Oct 10 11:39:50 CET 1994

      Dear Folks,

      James Williams on "Danger Island" (USA 29):

> I'll be blunt, I thought it was the worst Uncle Scrooge story
> I've ever read.  First, I thought the whole topic was very
> un-Disney.  Second, I thought that Scrooge was portrayed
> totally out of character.  He was treated as an old and nearly
> helpless man.  The only reason he survived is because the
> nephews were so smart and resourcefull.  This Scrooge McDuck
> was not "smarter then the smarties" nor was he "tougher than
> the toughies".  Third, there is one scene early on where Scrooge
> is trying to hide from the dogs and complains about the fact
> that it is hopeless because he doesn't have a gun.  This is
> suppose to be Scrooge McDuck, not the Punisher.  Fourth, Scrooge's
> line where he warns that he has an itchy trigger finger was probably
> the single most uncharactristic line I've ever heard him mutter.

      Gawrsh!  So Scrooge was too weak at first, but too tough-minded
later?  I actually kinda liked this story.  I didn't find it
uncharacteristic for a Disney story, either;  the villain in fact was
pleasantly reminiscent of the Phantom Blot (as well as his mentor
General Zaroff, or whatever his name was).

      I'll be back, folks!

      David Gerstein