Disney-comics digest #458.

DAVID.A.GERSTEIN 9475609 at arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk
Tue Oct 11 10:55:42 CET 1994

      Dear Folks,

      A few comments on the recent stuff.

      Bjorn Are stated that "perhaps Don or David could write a story on
the Dive Comedy or on the Arabian Knights, and put in a lot of ducks and
demons?"  Actually, the definitive Disney Divine Comedy has already
been done.  Made in Italy in 1949, "Mickey's Inferno" is undoubtedly
the most bizarre Mouse story I have ever read.  After being
hypnotized by the Gleam, Mickey and Goofy dream that Hell has
conquered the Disney Universe.  We see characters attempting to live
their normal lives among devils and demons who spend their spare time
attacking and blowing people up.  Mickey battles Pete briefly, for no
good reason.  Eventually Mickey and Goofy discover their destiny,
which is to rescue Donald from this mess.  Donald needs this because
the forces of Hades have split him into his "good" and "evil" selves,
and there is a danger that the two halves will never come back
together.  Or something like that.  Beautiful artwork, but the most
convoluted story I've ever seen, complete with verses from Dante
across the bottom of each panel!  And of course, Disney's banned it
from use in the United States.  (Or so David Seidman told me.)

      Then, Barks in Holland:

  "Bill Grandy [sic] says that Jippes was Barks' first choice for drawing
  the story "Horsin' Around with History". He says Egmont told Barks
  that Jippes didn't have time, without even asking Jippes. Then they
  proposed their "own" artist Bill Van Horn..."

      I have a hunch Grandey contacted Egmont KNOWING they wouldn't
really know about Jippes' current state of affairs, and had it in his
mind from the start that Van Horn should draw the story, then
maneuvered things to get his way.  We should all note that this was
long before Jippes knew or sold work through that Weasel.  Anyone
knowledgeable would have contacted Oberon about exactly what Jippes
was doing.

"BTW: the Mickey story about hypnotism that has been discussed here
is Gottfredson's "The Jewel Robbery", coded in the Database as YM 048,
running in the newspapers from Jan 19 to May 2, 1942."

      Harry, this story is now known as "The Gleam" (remember, Mickey
has solved many jewel robberies) and will be titled as such when
Gladstone eventually uses it.  Isn't it called that in our database?

      - Fur gawsh sakes Mickey! I did just what you _told_ me to!

      Let's see -- Mickey is trying to straighten a pipe.  Gives
Goofy a wrench, then holds up the pipe and says, "When I nod my head,
you hit it with the hammer."  BONK!  Methinks one Mouse should have
defined "it" a little more carefully.  ;-)

      I'll be back, tomorrow.

      Best,
      David Gerstein

Bjo/rn Are