Cuts in USA D-stories

DAVID.A.GERSTEIN 9475609 at arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk
Mon Oct 17 17:27:53 CET 1994

      Dear Folks,

      It's common knowledge that Gladstone sometimes trims an Egmont
story slightly when using it in the States.  It's often done to
remove a very redundant splash panel in a story that was originally
two parts, in which case a few other panels are taken out to
facilitate removal of an entire page.  Sometimes a story simply works
better when trimmed (for example, on dialoguing one Vicar story, I
myself chose to eliminate a page since I felt it slowed the story
down and was completely unnecessary).  But looking through our
Database, I noticed a few stories that were much more severely
chopped.  I had noticed a few telltale signs (i. e. two panels the
width of the page clustered together in the middle, whereas one
originally finished off a page and another started it).  But I never
knew so much was cut.

      The first such tale is "Golden Oldies" in USA 23, a personal
favorite of mine.  As published by Gladstone it was about 15 pages,
but the original was over twenty!  So what was taken out?  I was
particularly shocked to see that so much was cut.  It didn't feel
cut, aside from one page that had a weird layout as a result.

      "The Treasure of Rattler River" (DDA 25) lost four pages, I
believe.  I suspected it had probably lost *one*, but -- four?  Just
what was taken out?  This was a very brief, ineffectual tale as
published.  Was it once any meatier?

      Last, "Danger Island", just last month in USA 29.  It lost
three pages, I think.  It seems to me that perhaps two were cut from
the beginning (the story started very abruptly), then two half-pages
cut later on?  Was anything removed due to violent content?  With
that story, it sure seemed like a possibility.

      That's all for now, folks.  Sure wonder about these.

      Best,
      David Gerstein