Foorball, and Database

Fredrik Ekman ekman at lysator.liu.se
Tue Oct 25 00:45:06 CET 1994

On Fri, 21 Oct 1994, H.W. Fluks wrote:
> When determining a title in an issue file:
>
> IF the story has a title in that issue
> THEN use that title without any tags (case A)
>      [in a lot of cases this could mean: get the title from the stories files,
>       and remove the tag]
> ELSE use whatever data is in the stories file, with the appropriate tag
>      (cases 1 to 6 below)

Which turns out to be for all practical reasons identical with what I
suggested. And this means that "all" we will have to do is to include the
correct titles (preferrably in Latin-1) in the Swedish (and other) .dbi
files, right?

> Do you think the readers of [The Grand Comics Database], being super-hero
> comics fans, are interested in a Disney index?

Yes and no. Those I have been in touch with are not the least interested.
But their goal (as I mentioned) is to produce a COMPLETE database. With
everything. The lot. All of it. That, naturally, includes Disney comics.
Thus, they are not over-enthusiastic about doing the work themselves
(and I can tell that they are doing a lot as it is) but will be glad to
take anything that is thrown upon them by someone else. My hope is that
in the long run we too will benefit from this. With your standardised
indexes, converting it should be relatively easy. The problem is how to
get updates for them whenever you update our database without doing any
excessive amounts of work.

> With my new proposal (the pseudo-code above), [the national] tags will
> occur as little as possible in the stories files, and (almost) not at
> all in the issues files.

Sounds good in theory, but who will do all the necessary translations
into O: descriptions?

As for your other remarks, I either agree or don't have an opinion.

  /F