Disney Comics Digest #470 (I think)

August DeBlieck ADEBLIEC at drew.edu
Tue Oct 25 19:18:08 CET 1994

                                        Date:     25-Oct-1994 02:02pm EST
                                        From:     DeBlieck, August
                                                  ADEBLIEC
                                        Dept:     STUDENT
                                        Tel No:

TO:  Remote INTERNET Address              ( _IN%DISNEY-COMICS at MINSK.DOCS.UU.SE )

Subject: Re: Disney Comics Digest #470 (I think)

Hello, everybody.  I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks now,
waiting to come up with something intelligent to add to the discussion.
Unfortunately, I've been having too much fun reading everybody else's
comments to come up with some of my own.  And besides, I'm nowhere near as
knowledgeable as everyone else seems to be on the subject.  I'm just a
comic book/cartoon collecting guy who enjoys Carl Barks and everything
descended from him.

But I have a couple of comments from what Don Rosa (Hi, Don!) said in his
part of the digest:

Don, you said something about the silliness of doing comics plot-style,
versus script style.  I don't think plot-style (also known as
'Marvel-style' in the US, since that's where it originated from, I think)
comics turn out quite so bad.  And, likewise, there are many pointless
script-style comics out there, too.  In fact, some point to the early days
of Marvel as their best days - and they were all done plot-style.  The
synergy between Jack Kirby and Stan Lee led to some exciting and interesting
stories, that not always ended up quite as either of them had expected them
to.  It adds a certain spontenaity to the titles, I think, as well as a
little less verbosity. I'm not saying words are bad, it's just that some
scripters tend to do everything through redundant dialogue.

In fact, one of the generally-agreed upon best super-hero comics in the USA
is Marvel's Incredible Hulk, done in the Marvel style.  Of course, using
the same criteria, Sandman is considered far and away the best comic in
the medium, and that's done script-style.  But don't so easily dismiss the
plot-style comics.

By the way, I ask this in nearly all the letters I write to Gladstone, but
I figured you might know something I don't about this: is there any chance
Gladstone is going to reprint His Majesty, McDuck on the new paper?  It's
one of the first duck comics I bought and it remains a favorite to this
day.  I'd love to see it done justice in this new format.  In any case,
keep up the great work!

David Gerstein: Greetings, fellow APAtoonster!  I suddenly don't feel so
alone.

-Augie De Blieck Jr.