Mickey as a child counselor!

Sigurdur Hrafn Gislason shg at rhi.hi.is
Mon Sep 5 16:58:15 CEST 1994

I was reading a 3 year old Italian Disney pocket comic book just yesterday
and I came upon a most pecculiar story. Very unDisneylike in fact.
The plot was about Mickey's two nephews meeting a new friend and finding
out that he was being abused at home, that is, he shows up with a bruise on
his face and claims his father did it. The nephews contact the local
phoneline for abused children and ask for help. The phone agency then
contacts one of their top agents who, incidentally, is Mickey Mouse.
In the end everything works out. The father promises never to do this again,
he was under a lot of strain etc.
Anyway, this is something I never ever saw in a Disney comic.
Stories that address real social problems? Never seen those in a Disney comic.
Maybe this was the only time, but I wonder how it got past the editors.
Could it be that the italian comics are more serious in this matter?

DON:
In one of your stories (Lo$11 I think) Scrooge escapes some hoods in a western
bar and hides some paper (deed or something) in a bottle embedded in a wall.
Is this in any way connected to some other story by Barks or just some
story detail of your own?  I ask because I found it a curious thing to do.

Sigurdur