Hello? Is anybody there? :-)

Fabio Gadducci gadducci at DI.UniPi.IT
Wed Sep 21 21:16:16 CEST 1994

>FABIO:
>        Fabio? Fabio? Oh, wheeeerrrreeee are yoooouuuuuu, Faaaaabioooo?

There was someone calling for me?!?

I know, I'm for the n-th time late in answering back. But it is not my
fault, as usual :-).
I've organized a small comic convention in La Spezia, with the financial
help of the public administration of that town, and I had to spend the
weekend there.
The subject of the main panel was obviously devoted to Marvel Comics, if
you were wondering. This is quite a dangerous period in Italy for
(superhero ) comics, since Marvel opened Marvel Italy just three monts ago.
It seems that they are using the same tactics as in the USA: saturate the
market with as much garbage as possible, so to make the other companies
quit.

Anyway, enough of this. First of all, thank you Per for your interest: I
think I'll have no more problem with the link. The only problem was the
time-out time: it seems that it is quite time-expensive for my server to
look up at the mailing list address, so that my mails were continuosly
deferred. My system manager says he incremented the time-out delay.

And a last thing about computer: those of you who work with a UNIX system,
can very easily recover the list of the subscribers to the list simply
typing

vrfy disney-comics at minsk.docs.uu.se

or, just to be sure

vrfy -txxx disney-comics at minsk.docs.uu.se

(xxx is any time you like) if your server is slow, too.

Let's change subject again. First of all, Don. OK, I'll try not to copy
part of the mails when I'm answering back. I know that all of you on
Compuserve has to pay for it, but it usually slip out of my mind! I promise
I'll pay more attention to it. About your story on the 'Sixty years special
edition': if you check, also Van Horn story was cut up. The reason is that
they had to fill it in the digest version, and four strips for page are
quite difficult to look for a child. Why did they not cut up Rota's story?
Well, they had the black and white proofs for your and Van Horn's story, so
the cut up was quite an easy operation. Instead, they did not have the b&w
proofs for Rota's story. They took the art directly from the original
edition! They did not separate the black lines, after then recoloring the
story, but took directly each page in color, so that it made quite an
impossible thing to cut them up. (I hope I made it clear, but my knowledge
of technical English is not so good... neither of the colloquial English,
to be honest...)

Now, Harry. I'm sending this to the list because you are not the only one
who still has to get Becattini's index, through me or through Mauro
Ricciardelli, owner of 'Al Fumetto club' and publisher of the Index. The
problem is that, despite my (and Luca Boschi's and Alberto Becattini's)
best efforts, we are not yet been able to put our hands on those Index that
Ricciardelli still holds in his hands. We do not know why he doesn't want
to part with them. We hope that, since next Lucca should appear the second
volume of the Index (containing many errata corrige), to get at least a
dozen of them to satisfy part of the requests...
More or less, you are in the same situation as Ole: I have all your stuff
already ready to be sent, but I'm still waiting to be able to get the

(PS Harry, I'm sending you a longer mail telling you the whole truth on
your affair: let's skip it to the list)

Knut asked about Witch Hazel, who
>has also made several
>appearances in the norwegian DD pockets which probably means some italian
>artists have used here now and then?
Yes, it has been used a lot of times, starting from the Sixties, when she
appeared in a lot of stories, co-starring Goofy, usually realized by Carlo
Chendi (writer) and Luciano Bottaro (artist). The team-up :-) Hazel-Goofy
proved really successful, and it has been proposed by many Italian authors,
mainly during the Seventies.

And that's all for now. I hope I'll be able to help you, Geir, in your
search for strange facts in Barks' stories: not with my limitated
knowledge, but asking  to some Italian authority in barksism.

See you soon,

Fabio

PS I'll be in London from October 2 to October 9. And in Mannheim (Germany)
from October 12 to October 16. Is there any duck fan near these places?!

Fabio Gadducci            Dip. di Informatica
Home: +39-50-541725       Universita` di Pisa
Off.: +39-50-887268       Corso Italia 40, 56100 PISA (ITALY)
FAX:  +39-50-887226       E-mail:gadducci at di.unipi.it