Disney-comics digest #445.

Knut Hunstad Knut.Hunstad at veg.sintef.no
Tue Sep 27 09:18:02 CET 1994

Just a few (?) words about rec.arts.disney for those who now are curious:

r.a.d. is a newsgroup for disney-fans. The main topics discussed are: movies
and theme parks and the Disney concerns goings on. In addition there is the
FDC, the Future Disney Cabinet. This is a more or less inside joke on this
newgroup. People take on an imaginative position they would like to have in
an imaginative Future Disney Company. Then they try to act according to that
position. This has lately mostly grown into a roleplaying game between
FDC-ers with "walkaround-character"-positions from the animated features.
Some people at r.a.d. want to split the group up because there are so many
messages each day (sometimes 100+ a day!).

When I first found this group I was active for a while. But now I only
browse through the messages and read the ones that seem interesting with
regard to the subject line. Doesn't take me long to do this and I really
can't see any reason that this group should be split. I think much of the
charm on r.a.d. are these FDC messages. Now if only they could stop
discussing a split they would reduce the message load by about 25%!

As you probably understand by now, I _do_ like Disney's animated work and
also the theme parks. I have no problem understanding the irony often used
when some people talk about the parks. But when I go there I simply
disconnect the real world and have a good time. And I think that's what it's
all about.

I must admit I haven't had the same enthusiasm for the newer movies
(Aladdin, Beaty & Beast etc.) as for the older ones. The Jungle Book is my
all time favourite. But I blame that more on my own hang to think back at
the "good old days" than the movies themselves...

>	Uh... should I ask what would go on in this
>"rec.arts.Disney.roleplaying" section... or would it sicken me to know?

Don't know, but I have the feeling you wouldn't like paying for what you get :-)

>The first idea that pops into my head is women going on-line, pretending
>they're Ariel or Cinderella or Baby Minnie. Say it ain't so.

More or less, yes, as I explained above. But I must add that there is quite
much irony in this, too. If I had the time I wouldn't mind reading through
all the FDC posts, but as time is limited I prefer to read through my DD&Co.
collection instead...

Knut Hunstad
FDC Entertainer at Norway Pavillion, EPCOT Center
FDC Sailaround Moby Duck