Universal Solvent comment (Spoilers)

Jon Cato Lorentzen jonlo at ifi.uio.no
Tue Apr 4 14:12:18 CEST 1995

Hi all.

Non-Scandinavian readers beware... SPOILERS AHEAD!

Ok. I have now read 2/3 of the Universal Solvent story by Rosa, and enjoyed
it a lot, but something bugged me about the second part, when they reach
the room at the center of the Earth. Scrooge falls of the vehicle and falls
towards the center of the room, and past it, and then falls back upwards.
This might seem logic, but being a physics-student, I don't know if this
would happen. You see, this room is just like the inside of a hollow spherical
shell, where the rest of the Earth is the shell. Inside this sphere there
should be zero gravity, no forces at all. The Ducks should be completely
weightless in the room. Things outside this room would be pulled towards
it's center, but things inside will not. Anyway, it's been over a year
since I learned this stuff, but that's how I remember it. It also makes for
a great gag in the story.

-jonC