Gammel 88 op een zijspoor

deckerd@agcs.com deckerd at agcs.com
Fri Apr 7 17:56:04 CEST 1995

>>The story was written by Carl Fallberg, who apparently was (is) a railway
>>freak. He wrote a lot of railway stories.

No "apparently" about it. I have a book of cartoons Fallberg did about a
fictitious narrow-gauge railroad in the 19th Century American West, and a
biographical note mentioned his great interest in the subject.

By the way, I just realized that I haven't heard the word "freak" in the
sense you used it in quite a few years now. "Freak" in the sense of fan
or enthusiast has the dated feeling of incense and love beads. Judging by
my own startled reaction to your use of the word, "freak" has reverted to
its original meaning and is no longer complimentary. Well, I could be wrong
about this (and I've been posting on MLs long enough to know that somebody
will soon be along to correct me if I am), but I'd say the word doesn't convey
the meaning you want now. Here endeth the lesson!

Is it my imagination or has the amount of mail on this ML dropped off
considerably lately?

--Dwight Decker