Catfish, and Beagle Boys numbers

H.W. Fluks fluks at pcssdc.pttnwb.nl
Wed Apr 12 11:34:02 CEST 1995

JOHN L.:
The German translations for catfish and dogfish were Katzenfishe and
Hundefishe (= literal translations). I don't know if that are real German
fish names.

(I'm not German, I'm Dutch. "Fluks" rhymes more or less with
"Ducks", not with "Flukes". My car licence plate is "GG-VL-36". I realise
now that it means Gladstone Gander, Very Lucky. But what does the 36 mean?
--Enough, let's get back to the Ducks.)

JOEL:
> in "Webby's Field Trip" [...] Babyface Beagle's number is just 7.

As you said, that's the DuckTales universe. In the Dell/Gold Key universe,
there were three child Beagles, the "Beagle Brats", numbered 1, 2 and 3.
They appeared in some Tony Strobl stories, including "Treasure of Aztec-land"
in Donald Duck #103, for which Barks drew the cover. (The Brats are not
on the cover, though.)
Could that story be their first appearance?

The brats also appeared in a story called "Uncle 001", where a Beagle carries
the number 001 because he was the first inhabitant of his prison. Again
drawn by Strobl. USA publication unknown.

--Harry.

Harry Fluks         ()_()                   Dutch Disney comics fan
PTT Telecom          (_)                     fluks at pcssdc.pttnwb.nl
Netherlands                  "Yeah.. I've _heard_ of coral barques"