Disney-comics digest #637.

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Fri Apr 14 07:04:00 CEST 1995

>WES:
        That was just a mock-up of the cover of that first issue of that new
Gladstone. In other words, it was all faked. The title, as you now know,
won't be UNCLE WALT'S COLLECTORY / UNCLE $CROOGE IN THE YUKON; Disney wants
WALT DISNEY'S COLLECTORY / $CROOGE McDUCK IN THE YUKON. And the art you see
there is actually a xerox I sent them of the cover of the 4th issue of the
German "DON ROSA LIBRARY" they publish over there. The actual cover of the
Gladstone issue will have a different cover, far less cross-hatchety
detailing since I know I can depend on Gladstone to color it correctly with
the midnight sun backlighting the figures and the aurora b. dancing in the
starry sky. They never bother with "artsy" coloring like that in Europe
since they know that extra effort doesn't sell extra Duck comics.
        ...Which is funny when you think about it. Well, actually pathetic.
It might seem pointless for Gladstone to put extra work into stuff since it
won't increase sales much since American comic-collectors won't buy the Duck
comics no matter what. There's no sense in putting extra work into the
European issues since it won't increase sales any since European comic
readers won't NOT buy the Duck comics no matter what. In other words, they
can't do much to make them sell better there. Wotta difference. Wotta world.
(Wotta country.)
        Anyway, you haven't really seen the cover yet.
        And who is "cdoberman"?
HARRY:
        Can you send me your address again? I have something to mail to you
which involves somebody selling something to somebody along some river
somewhere. Breezes - $25. Gales - market price.

MATTIAS:
        I just sent Stefan a FAX last night asking him what happened to you.>