[Bjorn Are:] History and pulp!

Per Starback starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Thu Feb 2 16:55:23 CET 1995

[This message from Bjorn Are got lost due to some technical problems.
 Sorry about that.  Since I had to resend it anyway I took the liberty
 of reformatting the text to avoid lines longer than 80 characters. /Per]
+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 1995 10:08:13 +0100
From: bjorn-are.davidsen at s.hk.telenor.no
Subject: History and pulp!

Thank you, Vidar, for your Historical info! And to Jon C.  for submitting it

This is exactly the kind of thing I love to see and discuss in a
digest, and I really hope Disney Digest (and Don!) will provide us
with a lot of opportunities for continuing this!

I haven't had time myself to check with the guide books and
archaelogical reference works I bought in Turkey in 88, so I
appreciate it being summed up in this way!

BTW - this "House of Saint Mary" is a rather late thing, stemming from
nothing earlier than the last century, I think, even if "officially
recognised" by the Pope (as they told us at the place) .  However, as
there are a lot of stories about John and his mother living in the
great city of Epehsos, there may has been a house of Mary somewhere in
the city.

And as Hagia Sophia (in it's overwhelming (viewed from the inside)
present form (after a fire having destroyed the 4th century church)
was build in the 530's, the Artemis columns must have been stored for
some time, if the n'th version of the temple was taken apart by Leo 1.

And of course Ephesos in 57 was one of the major Roman cities! I guess
it must have been a misspelling for 57 BC or 157 BC or something (I
havent' checked the ecact dates), Don, when the Romans fought for
dominance in Asia Minor against the inheritors of Alexander's
generals?

And to Fredrik:

Clive Cussler (you'll find his works in the bestseller shelf in any
book store) may not be the World's Worst Pulp Writer Ever, however,
there is a STRIKING contrast between his GREAT plots and BAD writing.
His worst? "Inca Gold"! Or "Sahara", if you're not into cannibalism,
spitefull attacks on African dictators, French magnates and gruesome
revenges. The only thing Cussler doesn't go for is explicit sex
scenes, being too eager to please the average American book reader, I
believe.

Bjorn Are