Disney-comics digest #577.

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at compuserve.com
Thu Feb 9 05:53:52 CET 1995

	First of all, allow me to request that, for the love a god, would
somebody PLEASE unsubscribe "hyung hwan chung"!!!

AUGIE:
	Thanks for the comments of a "newbie" on the Lo$. You seem to be getting
just the sort of feeling and enjoyment out of it that I hoped all readers would.
And you make me happy that I'm doing those accompanying texts to help people
check out the references.
	As for your dealer's suggestion/accusation that I should not be bringing
"super-hero continuity" into Duck comics, I can understand why this objection
arises, but I don't think it's valid, or I at least don't think everyone should
expect every artist or writer to do Duck stories that match their particular
preference. As I've said, I don't expect everyone to like my stories, but the
solution for those who don't like 'em is to simply not read 'em, not complain
that I'm putting something into their Duck comics that they don't want; I don't
change the comics they like, I do OTHER comics that they can simply ignore.
	But the whole idea of continuity being "bad" stems from the fact that
these are readers (like myself!) who dislike what American super-hero comics
have turned our industry into, and we recall that the very FIRST aspect of the
birth of these sort of modern super-hero stories was CONTINUITY -- therefore,
continuity is BAD. My love for continuity comes from two things -- first being
my love of Mort Weisinger's Superman comics of the late 50s-early 60s -- these
were not forerunners of modern 1990's super-heroes, but were the last hurrah of
1930s science-fiction from whence those writers sprung. The continuity was a
sign of respect for the reader and a recognition of the fact that understanding
continuity gives a reader are far deeper understanding of characterization.
Secondly, I love history and I love accuracy and I love detail -- with these
thoughts in my head, I have NO CHOICE but to utilize continuity in my stories.
In fact, even before I was reading Weisinger Superman stories, in the lil'
private comic books I did when I was about 10, I was using strict continuity
tactics. That's just me -- it has nothing to do with "Marvel super-heroes" and
though it may not be everyone's cuppa tea, it's silly to say it's inherently
bad.
	I'm glad you seem to like that stuff -- thanx. But as I've said to the
two people who ever voiced a dislike to my face to my continuity and sequels
(the other Gladstone Duck writer and writer/artist): "I'm very sorry you don't
like it -- but expect many years of more of the same."

WES:
	This nonsense about Alexander the Great's tomb is an object lesson in
what I deal with when I do my research. As you can see what is very probably the
case here, historians and archaeologists come in all sorts, and there are many
who will make loud proclamations either out of delusion or dishonesty to enhance
their prestige and future careers. I'll be very surprised that any other
historians agree with the spurious claims that Alex's tomb has been found --
when I first read the reports, I thought it a highly dubious idea that the man
who conquered the world and built some of the greatest cities and temples of the
time, had his remains hauled out into the middle of nowhere in a region far from
his homeland or conquests and was entombed in a little hovel of a crypt by
Ptolemy, his #1 general who loved him and would have wanted to enshrine him
forever in the city of his greatest achievements. How silly.

DANNY F.:
	We don't get into animation much around here. But if you think there's
much of a future in animation, perhaps you should look closer at those
"animators" you see behind the glass at the MGM Studio tour. The accompanying
video with Cronkite and Williams shows the animation techniques of 30-40 years
ago as if they were still being used today. Disney animation is now done either
by computers or by minimum wage workers in Korea or such. Those "animators"
behind the glass were all busy making "seriographs" (fake animation cels) and
painting fake animator's models all to be sold by Disney Fine Art Editions in
the collectible-lout market. Perhaps you can be an animation director or
character designer... but it doesn't take many of them in the entire industry of
the future, and you'd hafta be slick to get one of those jobs. Learning computer
programming might be what one should study to be in the future animation bizniz.
But then, I do comic books and really don't know much about it all...