A Case of Too Much Money (again!)

DAVID.A.GERSTEIN 9475609 at arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk
Tue Feb 14 12:21:42 CET 1995

      HARRY pointed out that on the last panel of page 3 (of this
story which I translated, in US 291), this sentence was needless:
"I'm not gonna spend one ton of money to get rid of another ton!
Rubleniks are worthless, but the principle bothers me, dagnabbit!"

> The fact that rubleniks are worthless has nothing to do with Scrooge
> spending money. What's the principle?

      This is actually the sentence I found the most obvious thing
for deletion, too, on afterthought.  What I meant was that while Scrooge
might spend money to get rid of garbage of some kind (if it was
absolutely necessary to do so), Scrooge would NEVER spend money
to get rid of additional MONEY, on principle alone, even if the money
he was trying to obliterate was worthless.

      You say that you wouldn't have picked this story for American
reprint.  For me, any story which flips things around so that Scrooge
is helping the Beagle Boys and trying to rout Donald's attempts to
preserve law and order, is worth printing.  I love stories that take
the traditional state of things in the Duck universe and very
plausibly throw everything for a loop.
      And I think that aside from being a little wordy now and then,
my dialogue here was better than "Bugged by Humbuggery" (WDC 589).
But then, people seemed to enjoy that, and no one yet has been all
that hot on "A Case of Too Much Money".

      If we're going to talk about being wordy, I might as well
mention that two pages of "Lentils from Babylon" part III are VERY
wordy.  They were this way in the Italian as well, as Fabio can tell
you.  The BBs explain their entire scheme and it took both Scarpa and
myself a LOT of space to expound it.
      On the other hand, I don't think part three of the story is
NEEDLESSLY wordy as Part II was.  It's not as complicated and I found
that I got a lot of good gags into it, too.  So we'll see what you
think.

      I'll be back!

      David Gerstein
      <9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk>