Disney-comics digest #583.

9475609@arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk 9475609 at arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk
Wed Feb 15 12:55:13 CET 1995

      DON:  I actually like Todd Klein's lettering a LOT.  I think it
works best with your stories.
      Bill Pearson's lettering is okay, but there are a lot of errors,
and the sound effects are just sort of written in -- I could do an
equally good job.  It's like he just takes the art and writes in the
sound in completely normal lettering in some remote approximation of
where it's supposed to go.
      Sue Klinger's lettering is excellent, but she makes the sound
effects very, very small -- sometimes smaller than the normal lettering
in the balloons!  In the Scarpa stories, she's often deleted sound
effects which Scarpa put in in English, rewritten them EXACTLY, but in
much smaller letters with a wide margin.
      John Clark letters the occasional story, too (he used to letter a
LOT of them, but not anymore).  I like his lettering, but I think it was
best around 1989 (when he used elaborate lettering for sound effects,
rather than just large, bold black letters a la Egmont).
      There is a fourth letterer too (who lettered "Traitor in the
Ranks" in DDA 31 as well as your "Guardians" story).  IMHO this letterer
is not as good as the others.  I've never really cared for his work.
      Now a few alternatives that didn't at first spring to mind:
      When Disney Comics printed your stories, Don, they had a superb
letterer do them (whose name eludes me now).  Her work was almost
identical to Todd Klein -- only I think it was BETTER.  Why has
Gladstone never gone after this person to do your stories?  Or
everyone's?  She lettered most of the foreign stories Disney published
from 1991 on.  I think Gladstone would be wise to go after her services.
Might you mention this to them?
      Finally, Ron Fernandez is also a letterer, and I like his work the
most of anyone.  Almost like Barks in appearance!  I got him to agree to
letter my "Return to Morgan's Island."  Maybe he'd like to letter your
stories, Don.  I'm sure he'd do a GREAT job.
      In the old days, even the worst stories got good lettering.  Now,
the lettering is so often uninspired...

      ALL:  Anyone see DD 291 yet?  Any AT strips cut out?  (The cover
indicates that the strips include an adaptation of the cartoon "Donald's
Penguin" in which gunplay scenes are now censored, so I sense trouble in
the air.)  Any interesting ads or letters in the letter column?

      David Gerstein
      <9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk>