Infernal Combustion

Anders Engwall Anders.Engwall at eua.ericsson.se
Tue Feb 28 15:39:16 CET 1995

> Our Mensa meeting this weekend was on comic books, and after the lecture
> I was talking to an acquaintance who does not currently read comics.
> I mentioned that Uncle $crooge was the only comic I subscribe to, and
> he told me he learned how the internal combustion engine works by
> reading a Disney comic in his youth (25-35 years ago).  The story
> involved DD getting shrunk and traveling through an engine.  Does
> anybody recognize this story and where it's from?  (And if it's been
> reprinted recently?)

This is a 10-pager drawn by Tony Strobl and published in the Swedish weekly
#36 of 1968. I *guess* the original U.S. publishing was in 1966 or 1967.

Actually, Donald did not shrink, he was his ordinary self. It was the engine
that was giant-sized! A couple of con-men had this idea of selling these
expensive shrinking pills to U$, and they needed witnesses who could testify
that they really worked -- and that's where DD (& HDL) entered the plot. The
pills given were really knockout pills, and when DD & HDL woke up they had
been placed inside the giant engine. Inside the carburetor (sp?) if I'm not
mistaken.

Not a bad story actually, though I doubt it has been reprinted since then.

Anders Engwall				Email: Anders.Engwall at eua.ericsson.se
ELLEMTEL Utvecklings AB			Voice: +46 8 727 3893
[lvsj|, Sweden				Fax: +46 8 727 42 20
Brullt brullt brullt brullt brullt brullt brullt brullt brullt brullt brullt