various

Jørgen Andreas Bangor jorgenb at ifi.uio.no
Wed Mar 1 15:34:17 CET 1995

Knut about Goofy stories:
>I would actually like to see more of them!

Yes, actually I agree. Most of the stories are really good, and it's
very clear that there is a lot of work put into them.
You do not misunderstand -- the D&M prints them in magazine format,
which means that a lot of the art is simply removed. That makes them
suffer a lot, because, IMNSHO, the art outside of the panels are very
important for the "feeling" of the story.
     About twenty (a little more) have been published here. I don't
think that "invisible" story is among them (H. G. Wells, isn't it? I
read that a few years ago).

I remember one gag I liked from the Beethoven story. It's something like
this: Goofy is walking down the street carrying a huge piano. A couple of
neighboors watch him.

     - Isn't that Beethoven's son?
     - No, that's Steinway's son.

When someone is knocking at a door, it doesn't say "knock, knock", but
"bartok, bartok". When a piano is falling down several floors, it says
"BRAHMS"!

Anders about the engine story:
>This is a 10-pager drawn by Tony Strobl and published in the Swedish weekly
>#36 of 1968. I *guess* the original U.S. publishing was in 1966 or 1967.

Ah! That was one of my favourites when I was a child. It could have
something to do with those three American vintage cars standing behind
the house. My father seemed to find it very interesting spending a lot
of time under their hoods.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to make a review of the Norwegian
weekly now. I'm going to Fredrikstad for a few days. It will come early
next week. Except for a few non-interesting stories, it contains a Barks
ten-pager, and the first part of the sequel to the dinosaur story drawn
by Ferioli.

   Jorgen