A lot of things

Jørgen Andreas Bangor jorgenb at ifi.uio.no
Tue Mar 14 23:18:08 CET 1995

WES:
>Holy Cow! -- Printed in ONE magazine??

Yes. Donald pocket #162. 256 pages of Italian stories each month. Such
long stories are quite rare though. Usually the longest stories are about
70 pages.

Donald Duck (H8316, 10 pages)
-----------------------------
DAVID:
Do you mean the story is probably badly hurt by the British script, or
just bad anyway?
     I certainly disagree with you on this story. The long start of the
story is there to show how poor Donald is. Then Gladstone shows up and
shows how easy he gets everything he wants. Then the competition with
Gladstone starts. Donald wants to show that what Gladstone can do, he
can do better. Donald is, as usual, exaggerating. Maybe a bit more than
usual. He dresses up as, well, something, and equips himself with a lot
of technical equipments to help him in the job. Of course it wouldn't be
that fun being an expert if he couldn't show it to anybody -- therefore
the performance.
     That part with Scrooge is a bit unclear. I can't imagine Scrooge
would have thrown that bill from the bridge at all. Anyway -- Donald, as
the expert of finding money, will have to catch it.
     Then, at last, Gladstone wins the competition, which he don't even
knows he was taking part in, by finding the coin.
     In the Norwegian script the coin was very valuable, that's why
Scrooge wants the coin. This is not one of he coins he have earned
himself, therefore it doesn't mean anything but money to him -- it
doesn't hurt him to sell it. Donald wants his part of this, and therefore
he has to find it in the money bin. Gladstone disappears. He doesn't need
the money.

DAVID (about Snowhite and the Seven Dwarfs):
>if this is that same, 1937 adaptation that's appeared umpteen times

It is. It has appeared umpteen times here too (and one redrawn). I think
the oldest one was partly sensored, but later it has been published
complete. Funny though... the colouring in this Marvel edition looks
remarkably alike the first Norwegian edition. Don't have that one here,
so I can't tell it for sure.

ME:
> [..] a ten-pager with the Dwarfs fighting against
> The Witch. No credits, except for editors and colourists.

HARRY:
>This most likely is the story in WDC 47, "The 7 dwarfs and the Wicked
>Witch"

Yup. It's that one.

ME:
>      The story is I-1993, and is a sequel to another long story,
> which code I don't remember. The story is really good. The art is
> good to (Scarpa?).

HARRY:
>I think it is more likely to be Cavazzano than Scarpa.

No, it's not Scarpa -- but Cavazzano? I thought his style looked quite
different from Scarpa. The style is quite similar to Scarpa's (older
style).

PER (to DAVID):
>I still haven't figured out why you'd want to do a story with Moe by
>the way.

Neither have I... Wonder if they'll remember him and give him his
Norwegian name when the story appears here.
     BTW: A finnish member of the list told me he thought the dog was
called Hannibal in Finland. Quite recently I read a (bad) Moe story
from 1974, which I hadn't read before. There (in Norwegian) the dog
is called "Snusen" (Sniffer, or Snouser?).

Then back to a few things from earlier letters.

Me:
>- The Beagle Boys (D93304, 6 pages). Art by Xavi.

David:
>Doesn't look like Xavi to me.

I'm not in doubt anymore. This has to be Xavi. I've looked at some
pseudo-Branca stories, and found that the art is Xavi. He has improved
a lot in some things, but in others he has made the art simpler. Those
ears on the Beagle Boys, and other characters, are Xavi's.
     I don't have the art story with Minnie and Mickey here, but you
mentioned that it could have been done by the same who did that Horace
and Goofy story. The art in the BB story doesn't look like this at all.

Me (about a contest in Swedish KA):
>Oops --  I was a little quick there. I thought these were stories already
>published.

No, I wasn't. The panels were from stories in that issue.

   Jorgen