Life after the Life of Scrooge

Carey Furlong - tdoc furlong at ug.eds.com
Fri Nov 10 19:11:23 CET 1995

Hi Dwight!

> "No matter how smart you think you are, there are times when you
> should be smart enough to leave things well enough alone!"
> As printed, however, Donald is saying:
> "No matter how smart you think you are, there aren't enough
> times when you should be smart enough to leave things well
> enough alone!"
> That "there aren't enough times" makes no sense and seems like
> a typo.

I read USA 36 last night, and I agree that this sentence
came across needlessly mangled.  In fact, it's one of
the largest run-on sentences I've ever seen in a Disney
book.  Still, though, it didn't bother me too much, and
I understood its meaning (once I made it to the end of
the sentence).

So that was a computerized comic type font, eh?  I've heard
so much about them.  So, I suppose the font characters
are undifferentiated, with no variances.  I'll have to
take another look.

> The second story (H91134) is a four-page Scrooge & Gyro story
> ... "Why don't you make some
> yourself" in the last panel makes no sense...

This error, in my opinion, detracted from the story, and caused a real
jolt in the reading flow. I involuntarily halted the read at that spot,
scratched my noggin for a second, and then started up again.

> There should be some
> way I could get a look at proof copies of the stories
> I do before they go to press, and just check 'em over
> for goofs like the ones that have lately caused me so
> much gastric distress.

Gastric distress goes, I think, with the territory.  I'm a software
technical writer (computer user manuals, and such), and I can tell you
that you are not alone in watching others botch-up your stuff,
leading inexorably to all sorts of interesting ailments.

To ALL:

And now, I would like to say to the group that I have barely been able
to restrain my anticipation of the upcoming CBLIC, Donald Duck
Adventures 22, in which they are reprinting Barks' classic dinosaur
story, Forbidden Valley (from DD 54, 1957).  The plot line of this
story was taken in part from an earlier one that Barks did, but without
dinosaurs.  I just love to see how they do the colors in the CBL, and
this is one story I have long awaited getting the treatment.

Also, is any one else impatient to see the new CBL of Uncle Scrooge
Adventures?  Gadzooks, I can hardly wait to see what they do with the
colors.

And so, I ask myself, what does this tell me?  Why do I wait with such
finger-biting spasms for all of these great Disney stories?  I only
just recently discovered that I won't have to immediately go into
withdrawal pains after the end of Don's "Life of Scrooge" series, since
there is going to be a followup part 0.  But, holy cow, the way I wait
for these stories, you'd think I was going to inherit big money or
something.  In my defense, I can only say that I am not new at this.  I
still have my original copy of DD 54, which I bought when it was first
released.

                             "This fabulous twenty-four carat moon, for
                              a handful of dirt!... Man! That's the biggest
                              bargain I ever heard of in all history!"
                             --------------- Uncle Scrooge #24 -------
       ---- Carey ----
    Carey Furlong, Huntington Beach, CA; Primary e-mail: furlong at ug.eds.com
    Secondary email: cfurlong at ix.netcom.com; Prodigy TXST34A;
    Compu$erve 70531,2753; Opinions expressed are mine and not those of EDS