Disney-comics digest #849.

MASSENGALE MELANIE O Melanie.Massengale at Colorado.EDU
Fri Nov 17 19:15:59 CET 1995

On Fri, 17 Nov 1995 disney-comics at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE wrote:

> Date: Thu, 16 Nov 95 01:30 EST
> From: donrosa at iglou.com (Don Rosa)
> Subject: Re: Disney-comics digest #848.
>
> MELANIE:
>         Thanks for all the very kind words, but please don't think that my
> art is in any way influenced by "underground" artists. I think my similarity
> to Robert Crumb's art is simply that we both grew up reading the same
> comics, doing our own private comic books as a hobby, and neither of us took
> it seriously enough to try to develop a style that was pleasing to anyone's
> eye. I drew like this long before I saw my first Crumb comic sometime in the
> early 70s.

Sorry to have made this attribution without checking it out.  I have some
of the old undergrounds and the stylistic similarity was evident to me
right away.  I've rather lost my admiration of Crumb after seeing the
documentary about him, though I still very much like that detailed drawing
style reminiscent of the 40s.

I hope you will continue to use those peripheral family members you
developed in Lo$.  I am thinking especially of Scrooge's two sisters.  The
Duck comics would benefit enormously from the more frequent inclusion of
strong female characters such as Goldie.

Best regards,

Melanie