Spicy drucks

Erik Corry erik at kroete2.freinet.de
Sun Nov 26 04:57:00 CET 1995

: [Is nutmeg really a drug?]

Well, in http://www.hyperreal.com/drugs/faqs/FAQ-Nutmeg I find:

+ MACMILLAN DICTIONARY OF TOXICOLOGY:

   myristicin
     A naturally occurring methylenedioxyphenyl compound found in
     nutmeg. It has been suggested that myristicin may be
     responsible, in whole or in part, for the toxicity of nutmeg.
     The spice (5-15g) causes symptoms similar to atropine
     poisoning: flushing of skin, tachycardia, absence of
     salivation, and excitation of the central nervous system.
     Euphoria and hallucinations have given rise to abuse of this
     material.

Apparently, one whole nut is enough to provoke an effect, but
to be honest, looking at the effects detailed in the rest of the
file (vomiting, dizzyness), I can't see why anyone would want to
(ab)use the stuff.

There's no mention of it being addictive.

: I laughed after hearing this story, but then I remembered Barks' story
: "A Spicy Tale" (US 39) where Scrooge McDuck drinks nutmeg-tea. He's
: clearly being shown addicted to it when he hears that the suppliers
: stopped sending the "special nutmegs".

This is probably the closest you can get to handling a drugs theme
in a Disney comic! Although I can think of a few stories with
smugglers, they definitely weren't specified as smuggling drugs.
And certainly the idea of any of the ducks being addicted seems
very dodgy.

Erik Corry ehcorry at inet.uni-c.dk