Odds and ThC

Tryg Helseth trygve at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Tue Nov 28 04:11:44 CET 1995

Don said:

   [...] "Odds bodkins" is an old-English oath, short for "Od's Bodykins"
   or somesuch, which I believe is a reference to the body of God or
   Christ. [...] We're not allowed to use expressions like "Dad gommit"
   in A Disney comic [...]

Don, thanks for the info, and if you do look this up I'd like to hear what
you find.  From What you have said, it does sound like a phrase that would
have appeared in a Mickey Mouse comic.  I remember Mickey uttering other
strange things like "Smokey Hokes" instead of "Holy Smokes" so Odd Bodkins
would fit right in as Disney family material... :)

>From Ken:

>I finally got around to reading U$A #36, and noticed in the background on the
>first page of the Gyro story (page 27) that of the several cans of stuff Gyro
>has in his closet, one is labeled ThC, the active ingredient in marijuana.  I
>wonder how this one got past all those censors?

Hi Ken,

When that story was written (1962) it would have been unlikely that
many people would have known that THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) was the active
ingredient in marijuana.  I seem to remember (and I could be way off
here) that THC wasn't even identifed as the marijuana's active ingredient
until the '60s.

Of course, someone could have added that THC in the reprint, and it may not
even be in the original.   BTW, when you first look at that label, it looks
like ThC as you reported; as if it were a compound of Tholium (Th) and
Carbon (C).  When I checked it under double magnifying glasses, however, it
looks like THC with an incompletely formed capital H.

Tryg

Tryg Helseth  <trygve at maroon.tc.umn.edu>   Minneapolis, MN, USA
          or  <tryg.helseth at tstation.com>

"I wish they all could be Calisota Ducks!"  -the Beach Drakes