April 1, lemmings and indexes

Knut Hunstad Knut.Hunstad at veg.sintef.no
Wed Oct 4 17:32:03 CET 1995

Hi!

>Brings up another question, which I have since I saw the English
>version of the story: Is fooling each other on 1 April a worldwide
>tradition?
>
>I used to think it was typical Dutch...

No, it's quite worldwide, at least "westernworldwide". I don't know if it's
a tradition in Asia e.g.?

>Yes, I like to know more about it, because Egil said today:
>
>EP: The half-page were the ducks look at the blanket of lemmings
>EP: moving towards the sea, is found at National Geographic page 162,
>EP: a picture from Lysefjorden.
>
>I also heard (and believed) the lemming-suicide story. Can you tell
>me the real story about it, and were is this suicide-story based on?

Well, I tried to explain the little I know about it in my previous message.
I am not sure if EP really meant that the picture in NG showed the lemmings
moving towards the sea (which would ruin my whole assumption that this is
not true, I guess!). _I_ thought he meant to say that Barks copied the
geography from that picture and added lemmings himself. So EP, who is right?
And does that article say anything about lemmings? If noone with some more
detailed knowledge responds to this within some days, I'll do some more
thourough research...

Knut