Disney-comics digest #807.

James E. Smith III jsmith3 at host1.dia.net
Sat Oct 7 03:01:52 CET 1995

Dear Don:

Well, just read "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck" part 11. What can
I say, but congrats, Don, on a well-written and throughly enjoyable
story. This may have been Scrooge's "darkest" story as he finally morally
stumbles after his long and until this point morale career.

My one criticism is that ever after Scrooge's "repentance" he still has a
great deal to answer for. Chasing others off their land, and in the way
he did it, is obviously something he must atone for.

Even in the Barks story where Donald must "pay" for Scrooge's sin,
Scrooge seems to get off very lightly for his indiscretion. This might be
something to draw back on in future stories (maybe).

I love the ending which the little Donald and the circle of light he's
in.  It's a perfect intro for the two and it certainly foreshadows the
coming protagonist/antagonist relationship between the two. Still, there
is something very tender between the two, and it may be that link to
Hortense that does it.

In a strange way, I see this story taking on a Dickensian parallel. Just
as Ebenezer Scrooge turned bitter after his sister's death and the loss
of his family, so too, is this happening to Scrooge McDuck.

Don, I can hardly wait for the Christmas story, and I hope it ties
everything up with a sentimental, yet positive ending.  From you earlier
letter, I know you compared the difference between Donald, the happy
failure, and Scrooge, the not-so happy success. Barks' ending to a "Poor
Old Man" is referred heavily, and while there is some truth to Scrooge
learning to be happy with what he has, I don't believe that is the whole
story. While Scrooge may seem to be on the surface, this crusty, bitter
old duck; the readers know that there is much more to him than that hard
shelled exterior. It may never be in your power to do so, but if there
ever was a "last" Scrooge McDuck story, it would give me great
satisfaction to know that he would recouncile with Goldie, or even the
memories of his beloved lost family.

Just a thought that I know everybody is going "yuck" at.

One last question Don: How many Duck stories have you written that
haven't been published in the states yet?

James Smith III
Williston ND