US 9

kathy fitzpatrick kfitz at halcyon.com
Sun Oct 8 06:22:25 CET 1995

Knut,

<You mean the exploding thing? OK! It is "well known" in Norway that a
lemming can get so angry that it simply explodes! I'm not sure if this is
correct, but I think I once saw an explanation saying that this myth might
have been triggered by the fact (?) that a lemming _can_ be so upset by
beeing disturbed that it simply dies of a heart attack...>

I don't know about lemmings in general but small mammals such as mice and
chipmunks have extremely fast normal heart rates and which if attacted can
put them into shock and even cause cardiac arrest so to speak.

Kathy