Ducks and Fundraising

Cdoberman@aol.com Cdoberman at aol.com
Thu Oct 12 06:52:43 CET 1995

I've enjoyed reading WDC&S #600.  All but one of the stories were new to me
so I feel like I'm catching up on what I've missed.  I'd read the Jippes
story ("The Do-Gooders League") before, and I like it a lot.  One of the main
reasons I enjoy it is because it is a story about raising money for charity,
and that's what I do for a living.  I laugh in this story when the entire
town gathers to watch the needy people dig through the pile of used clothes,
first come first serve.  I can't imagine!  And all the town folks are so
patronizing -- and even the cops make fun of the poor people.  Unfortunately,
it's more true than we probably realize.

Van Horn's story is also about fund raising for charity:  "Heavy Duty."  I
guess it's common for Daisy to be involved in some sort of fund raising
activity.

Of course, my favorite all time fund raising story (not that I've seen them
all) is Barks' "Christmas for Shacktown"  My favorite scene is when Donald
confronts Scrooge for $50 (I think that's the amount).  He ends up with a
challenge grant -- where the rich person says I'll give you the money if you
raise the same amount from other sources.  This is a very common tactic in
fund raising, and I love that scene!

Can any one else think of other fund raising stories?  I'd love to hear your
recommendations.

-- Wes

"Attention!  All Needy People!  Line up now for the Great Clothes Rush!"  --
Master of Ceremonies, Festival of the Poor, Duckburg