Disney-comics digest #778.

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Fri Sep 8 04:00:15 CEST 1995

	JACOB:
	"With my horrible (but usually working) German and my limited
English, I translate "Lustiges Taschenbuch" to "Funny Pocketbook" ...
I've just picked up no. 170 this morning. How far is the Italian
publication?"
	I'm not sure, but even the German series is well past #170.
It's just that they keep all their pocketbooks IN PRINT, which makes
collecting them very easy.  (This wasn't always the case, but it's
easy to find all but the earliest numbers now -- and even those are
reprinted now and then.)

	DON:
	Do you need German printings of your AR-coded stories?  I mean
the stuff they're now printing as backups in the German Rosa-albums.
You probably have them (issues of MICKY MAUS weekly from 1990 or so),
but I thought I'd mention 'em just to make sure.
	"The American version of chapter XI, with my annotations as to
ALL the Barks references, should be out in a very short time! Maybe
one week..."
	Actually, more like four weeks.  Dwight just mentioned USA 35
having appeared.  Next week should come WD GIANT 2 (unless it also
came out this week), then DDA 35 (new Pat Block story), WDC 600! (at
last) and FINALLY US 295.

	HARRY:
	"We (on this list) once declared Giuseppe Perego to be the
worst Disney comics artist ever..."
	I've got a worse one!  When I was in London for the only time,
in June, I finally got to read some DONALD AND MAC continuity at an
old comic shop that had some 1930s MM Weeklies.  The story was a
hopeless jumble with the WEIRDEST art I've ever seen -- Donald and
Donna (Daisy) twisted hopelessly into the weirdest contortions I'd
ever seen.  Every character runs with their bodies leading their
heads.  And Eli Squinch (the villain in the story I saw) seemed to be
in extreme pain throughout the story.  He looked gruesome.
	Despite all this, Donald's face was relatively appealing, but
for really awful Duck art in general, William A. Ward is hard to beat.
Maybe even Perego does it better.
	(Ward did improve.  By 1941, his stuff looked pretty good.)

	ARTHUR:
	Sure is a shame about the translations in the Dutch pockets.
The German pockets used to have bad translations, but now they have
excellent ones... although a bad story still gets a less inspired
translation.

	DANIEL:
	"I really liked [LO$ 11]. But I'm really wondering how this
story could get past Disney's censor-staff, will this story really
appear un-butchered in the USA?"
	Didn't Don say that a voodoo doll's facial features were
altered?  (I can't remember now.)  I do recall him saying that
references to "whites" and "blacks" specifically were altered to tone
down the specifically racial angle of things.
	I'm really looking forward to this comic.

	IZZY33N at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU:
	Darkwing Duck comics have been in Marvel's DISNEY AFTERNOON
title which is now cancelled;  I guess they'll appear sooner or later
in DISNEY COMIC HITS, at this point.  And they occur now and then in
DISNEY ADVENTURES, too.
	I don't think Disney will keep having Marvel do these comics
given how few of them they now publish...

	I'll be back soon, with comments on the last week's digests
(which came while I had NO E-Mail access whatsoever).

	David Gerstein
	<96dag at williams.edu>
	"Have a chestnut, boys! ... OW!"