On KOMIX--Once more!

Dr. Archontis Pantsios apantsio at ac.anatolia.edu.gr
Fri Dec 3 13:06:23 CET 1999

SØREN:

>What exactly makes it (i.e. KOMIX) so exquisite then? (except from the
articles and
>the glossy paper) If a comic is supposed to have an over-all interest to
>the world, it should appeal to as many as possible, but your KOMIX
>doesn't, and it was never intended to do so. Perhaps I am wrong, perhaps
>the rest of Europe loves to read Barks' stories in Greek--in that case I
>apologize.

What's really amazing about KOMIX is that while it's designed to appeal to
its Greek readership and never intending to appeal to the rest of the world
(how else could it be?--it's in a language that only ~15 million people
speak in the world), its actual appeal greatly surpasses the Greek borders.

In all honesty, you're the *only* person to make such blant statements about
KOMIX's non-appeal that I've witnessed so far. And what's worse, you seem to
take your own views as evidence as to what the rest of the people think. The
comments on this very List by other people on that matter (Don Rosa being
one of them) and the tens of people worldwide that can't decipher a single
Greek word to whom I've been sending KOMIX in the past 3 years, is
persuasive enough evidence that your views on KOMIX's worldwide appeal
represent mainly yourself.

Tell us then: according to you, which are the top 3 Disney publications in
the world today?

What criteria would you use? If original stories is your only and primary
criterion, then as far as I know, only two companies consistently produce
today brand-new stories: Disney Italia and Egmont. Still, I never heard
concerted and consistent praises for either Topolino or the Egmont weeklies.

RODNEY:

>KOMIX is unquestionably one of the greatest Disney comics I've ever seen.
> Every issue is put together with such care that its amazing.  Any
>members who haven't seen any copies of this book are enthusiastically
>urged to get some.  I'm currently getting current issues from a fellow
>DCML member.  But, does anyone know if a person in the US can subscribe
>to this book and how much it would cost?

I wonder what's in KOMIX that Rodney (a non-Greek) can see, while Søren
cannot!!!  :-)))

Yes, KOMIX offers international subscriptions. I asked them about this only
2 days ago so I can offer one as a gift to a friend of mine: they charge
double the Greek subscription rate, or 13,200 drachmas (that's ~$40) for an
annual, 12-issue subscription. Anyone who might want to see recent Rosa
stories in the great KOMIX format (I know this doesn't include you, Søren!
:-))), be advised that during 2000 KOMIX will devote 10 out of its 12 issues
to Rosa. I heard this directly from KOMIX's editorial office.

I'll come back with the address on Monday--subscribing is easy since they
accept all major credit cards.

Cheers,

Archontis