reply to number 10 (quality, bella Duck, kalevala)

Anders Christian Sivebaek acsive at mail.mira.dk
Sun Dec 5 13:57:59 CET 1999

SOEREN
> Couldn't agree more, however AC wrote (to Stefan):
> > > The only bad thing is the colouring of the story. Why can't
> > > Egmont do as good colouring as the French publishers?
> > That is not only the only problem, that's the always returning
> > problem... It seems they use
> > a colouring method that is called flood fill! They aren't able to
make
> > a colur change from the top of the panel to the bottom (skies eg.).
> > Picsou and other mags do that... Picsou does it very nice with the
new
> > story the Coin.
> So, AC, you'd actually prefere these IMO "fake" colour changes we see
in
> Journal de Mickey, KLASIKA and KOMIX?
No, I don't think I made myself clear. I like the way Picsou is
printing ( though their paper is more white now, than it used to be)
Journal de Mickey and Klassika has the glossy paper-
style. like the last pages of the danish AA has. (actually it's a
left-over from when they went from 48 to 64 pages... and they haven't
corrected it yet... This results in the fact that some of the nice
surprises were put in the middle of stories, gluening the page... which
doesn't make a nice scan!

> If the glossy paper in itself
> "overpowers" the art, those fading colours most certainly
overdramatise
> the sensation of the stories. Apparently they all use the same
standard
> procedure; lightblue/white in the bottom fading to darkblue sky on
top.
Oh? well, but Picsou- the coin is faded allover. The new weekly has
only fadings when light comes down. shades you have to make yourself.

> I haven't seen Don's "The Coin"-story
> yet, but I would guess that the art is less fragile towards computer
> colouring--
Maybe. the editors coloured it very nicely. maybe with a computer, but
not with just filling the white places. they now how to use the effects
of fading and other things, and they use handwriting.

Talking about The Coin. It's the first time I see that kind of panels,
4 in a lkine and blue around a large group of the panels. it's very
nice and someway makes the story flow. The camera-angling is great too.

Georgias

> In GREECE ,as AC  mentioned before , there are many other Disney
editions
> (Megalo Miky, Classika, Miky Maous etc) mostly with reprints of new
Italian
> stories. These stories do not fit my taste,
I haven't allways like italian stories either, but since I got to know
my danishg friends on this list I learned about some talented Italians,
and it made me want to complete my collection of danish pockets. So I
can start to read now. sadly many stories aren't published in the
danish pockets, but they are in germany because they started before us.

Georgias, if you don't like those stories, may I ask if you liked the
summer-specials with Scrooge, mickey, Donald and the others? 6 issues
they published, with D-coded stories.
I learned from one of the editors that they thought the series was
going to be published on the same kind of paper as Komix (seems they
like that kind...), but it wasn't. it was published on some special
kind of paper so the colours weren't as they should've been... a bit
darker than normal.
A pleed: If any of you greek friends have spotted a remaining issue of
this series, and it was *MINNI* please buy it. I would like to swap it,
or I know Søren would (so I'm just making the deal)
Please mail me in private if you find it. It has some d-coded stories
that hasn't been published here, and as Soeren has an index of those
maybe he would like to see them.

> We can characterized them as "Classics", because of their quality in
every
> level  and the very carefully selected stories with more
sophisticated plots
> , art and editorials.
That might be the difference between the publishers. The ones at Komix,
and surely at ZP and Picsou too, love what they do. they were fans of
Barks and Rosa. quote: Rosa is the Barks of the new millenium: unquote.
This was said by the high editor, not the one in the military-clothes,
but he agreed. I'm not sure when they set their millenium to be
though... the 2000-issue insinuates something, and stories are in the
weekly with a socalled millenium-ball. Haha... I don't think it's on
porpouse, but the ball has changed colour from issue to issue... It's
crystal-like in one, crystal-like fading to purple in another. and in
the ads for the next story 8usually on the back of the comic) the ball
is green!!

Francois
> http://eclip2.ec-lille.fr/~willot/coa/div/at/loup.uk.htm
So you translated it to english? it's a tough job for eg. me to
translate from french to english or german to english... because the
stories I translate (for the two worlds of don rosa-page) were
origianally english...

said this:
>  (with possible exception to the message asking us
> to join a Backstreet Boys fan club.)
?! can't we throw  people of the list when they don't do as they are
told?
It's like the one that write unsubscribe to the wrong address...
this person probably joined the list by mistake... but then he should
just read the welcome-message and get on another list, about backstreet
Boys or something!

Good going Rodney.
> (owner of 20 wonderful issues of KOMIX)
 and hey, that's great:-)

Francois

> BTW, as all of you know very well, one of the pin-up is not an
original drawing.
which one is that??

> > > - presentation of the Disney cartoon "Il etait une fois Noel"
> > > (this is a cartoon that was sheduled on TV in the US, introducing
> > fat
> > > Duck lady. Picsou says she is Hewey, Dewey and Louie's aunt, and
that
> > > she could be a parent of Gus Goose).
> > That's the one we talked about... she's not their aunt! Disney just
> > took her from some s-coded story, where she's a friend of
Scrooge...

> What character are you referring to? Bella Duck?
yes.

> But Bella Duck isn't that fat. The Duck lady in the cartoon looks
different.
That doesn't necessarily say it isn't her. I blame that totally on
disney, they made the cartoon, they probably made a mistake... they
don't know what they are doing, IMO, they just take a comic from the
stack, and say we can use this one. make her a bit fatter and call
someone so we can be sure she's HDL's aunt...

I'm considering buying the danish version of the cartoon. it sounds
worth it, in some way...
It's just that on the videocover it doesn't saw that she's there or
picture her... Mickey's christmas something, right? Not carol, cause
that's from the early 80'es and featured Scrooge as ... Scrooge (I
can't forgive that they made him Mister Angry in the danish version...)

Stefan
Harry.
> >(I gave up trying rhyming after "Belgium" 8-)
> Rune-o-meter shouldn't be rhyming.
No, but it was Sinterklas-rhyming.
BTW I now counted the beats in the kalevala-quotes in the danish
version of the story.
It's not rune-o-meter. It might not even be an official translation
they used, and they didn't print it in a nice font like they did in
sweden... maybe because they are emberrassed they couldn't make
rune-o-meter... I have the danish kalevala from the library and it
shows rune-o-meter. but the book is published by a museum and the
University in Copenhagen. And Egmont doesn't own that, so they couldn't
copy it. Maybe in sweden there is a connection between the poblisher of
the kalevla and the the Kalle Anka-publisher?

Don gets the last word, and IMO you're right. I'm going to part myself
in four and move to France, Greece, Italy and take a time-mashine some
years to when Gladstone was publishing.