Retraction of a previous comment by me.

Rodney w bowcock jr. rodney-selfhelpbikeco at juno.com
Tue Dec 7 02:36:46 CET 1999

Perhaps it was improper for me to say that Don Rosa has not quite met to
the standards set by Barks.  Rosa's earlier stories were near the
standards set by the best Barks stories.  In recent years he has embarked
in a different direction-injecting more research and detail than I'm sure
Barks was able to do because he was so overworked.  I didn't mean to say
that Rosa was not quite up to par, but it seems that's just what I said.
My apologies.

While I'm typing, someone on the list recently said that they agreed that
Barks only did 50 or so outstanding stories.  It's been a while since
we've had new comics here and even then there wasn't a wealth of many of
the artists spoken of here.  But I would say that there are well over 50
outstanding stories that Barks has done.  Nearly *every* DDOS story was
brilliant, as was the US stories for the first 25 issues or so, and the
WDC&S stories from around 85-200 were all excellent.  Not to mention the
gems that have been scattered throughout the remaining issues.  To say
that there are only 50 outstanding Barks stories seems like blasphemy to
me, because I can personally say that without Carl Barks I would never
have continued to read Disney comics.  Without Barks, and to a large
degree Gottfredson, I think *none* of us would be reading Disney comics.
After all, who would've inspired the current crop of writers and artists
to write Disney books in the first place?

~~~Rodney.