Greeks and Barks

Anders Christian Sivebaek acsive at mail.mira.dk
Mon Dec 13 12:33:05 CET 1999

Hi friends

DEIF ROSON ;-)

> > This story was written by Deiv Roson (that's you:-)
> Wow! Kinda like Ellis Island in reverse. They actually translate
> the creator's names?
I think what they do is, ask an american how it's pronounced and spell
it in greek so it sounds like that. Also they are very serious so they
don't write Freddy Milton, even though that is what i think he was
born.
They then have a problem with the name Don Rosa. which i never
understood, not even when they explained it to me...
They spell it Nt (D) - o - v (n) R-o-sigma-a - I think. the sigma is
the o with a small line with it, when the letter is small. The greek
fans think they should spell it with a zeta, the strong s, which would
make it sound as we pronounce it. The editors said that they couldn't
change it now, and anyway rosa is a girl's name. they couldn't call Don
a girl's name... I tried to explain that both the girls name and Don's
last name would come from the name of the flower Rose!
They unbderstood that, but if they would have to call Don that it
wouldn't be Rosa but the greek translation of the word Rose (Kriton,
what is that word?).
We (That is, me and dennis) also mentioned that we had talked about the
day before, with kriton and panos, about Don visitting Greece. But the
editors said not now, and probably some reason.

> > and inked by Marsal

> To be fair, and we should be, Marsal both *penciled* and inked the
> story with great designs on the many distinct secondary and
> tertiary characters.
Well, I could only read his name, not what it said he did... I just
thought there are two names and he probably did that.

> Thanks for filling me in, Anders!
Well, as I had the issue, I wanted to do it. BTW: Do you get the
publications
of a story like that, or do you need help from readers to get it?

Poul

> I think it  is about 3 months ago I read on 313's homepage that Barks
had
> lymph cancer.
So, it got out now.

> Does anyone (GARY TANK, MICHAEL NAIMAN, Others?) know how
> Barks' condition is???
I heard from a family-member of Carl that he had cancer, and that he
was well now.

> It sure would be a swell x-mas present to know that
> old Carl  is OK.
I think he is, but I haven't heard from the family member for some
months.