DCML digest, Vol 1 #18 - 7 msgs

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Mon Dec 13 14:42:44 CET 1999

> From: Rune Kristian Viken
> When reading through Don Rosa's excelent "Battle of Sampo" story, I
noticed,
> in the first chapter, than Donald digs Scrooge's "walking stick" (that
blue
> "stick" Scrooge keeps hitting Donald with) down into the gold.
> Four "images" later, Scrooge does have his stick again.  How did he find
it?
> No reference to how he found it whatsoever.>
> "Bug"?

I know that my stories are replete with over-detailing and explanations,
but sometimes I let you use your imagination as to what's going on in those
background gags. How $crooge found his cane again is unimportant, and I
leave it to you: A) he dug it up. B) One of the nephews dug it up. C)
Donald decided to dig it up for a reward D) $crooge beat Donald senseless
with his fists until he told where it was. E) ... (well, you get the idea.
It doesn't matter).
But the main reason I reply is that you remind me how I will be forever
disappointed that Europe has screwed up one of Barks' most basic jokes...
one of the "great truths" behind the entire idea of the Money Bin: that is
NOT gold! The entire point of the "gag" of $crooge having a huge bin of
cash that he wallows in is that it is *not* precious coins -- it's all
simply common *pocket change* -- pennies and nickles and dimes and
quarters, etc. ... all copper and silver. A few old gold coins from common
American usage of the 19th century, sure, but that's still just common
pocket-change. Europe has always colored it as if it were all gold, which
is quite wrong... but I guess it's a tradition now and there's no changing
it.
(Oh, and by the way, his cane is not blue  -- another weird Egmont notion.
Who ever heard of a blue cane?)