Gottfredson questions

wunderwurm@gmx.ch wunderwurm at gmx.ch
Tue Dec 14 15:27:05 CET 1999

Some days before there was a question about "The Complete Daily Strip
Adventures of Mickey Mouse 1930 - 1955". Here's some additional information: This
was an edition published somewhen in the late 70s by the "Comic Buch Club
Germany" (i.e. Peter Orban, who at this time also published a kind of
complete Carl Barks Disney Ducks collection, a precursor of tha Carl Barks Library
- that project was stopped eventually when it became clear that the CBL was
going to the market in 1982. Both objects were heavily overpriced items for
a very exclusive circle of collectors, mainly in Europe, hence these never
were wide spread: By luck I got my Gottfredson edition in 1984 from a friend
for painful 3600 Swiss Francs - about 1900 US-$ then - , and I still lack
any of the Barks issues). The publication indeed contains ALL Mickey Mouse
dailies, from Jan. 13, 1930, to Dec 31, 1955. Format is 26 volumes (1 per year)
of 30 x 21 cm (horizontal). Usually 3 strips are printed on each page. Most
volumes are loose sheets in a slipcase, some volumes are bound - noone
knows why. There are about 3000 pages altogether, full of Gottfredson Mice.
The number of editions is limited to not more than 500 copies, according
to the loose slipcase imprints, and no more than 300 as printed on bound
volumes (although a sheet inside some volumes claim the copy number to be 20!).
Interesting information: At least the bound volumes seem to be printed and
manufactured in the GDR ("Verein Kultur der Völker Leipzig"). Not only were
the late Seventies deep frozen cold war, but among the stories reprinted
theres also was the anti-Soviet "The Treasure of Moook" spoof. Anti-communist
propaganda printed in the GDR, made for capitalist market ... there goes my
mind again.
Perhaps more interesting: I am not sure but I think the collection is
still available: A German trader is rumored to have bought the remainder of the
collection and selling it at some "reasonable" price (whatever that
means?!). Unfortunately I have no further information. Perhaps anyone from Germany
on this list can confirm this or has additional knowledge?

--
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net