Kalevala story cover

smkuisma@mappi.helsinki.fi smkuisma at mappi.helsinki.fi
Tue Dec 14 17:10:47 CET 1999

Quoting dcml-admin at numerus.LING.UU.SE:

> Message: 7
> From: "Anders Christian Sivebaek" <acsive at mail.mira.dk>
>
> Hi
> Don, could you tell us what the story is about that cover for the
> Kalevala book?
> And what does it say on the Kantele on Gyro's stick? Don Rosa after
> Galleian Kalleia 1999? What would the last part mean? any ideas?

The cover is a copy of a work by a Finnish artist Akseli Gallen-Kallela (That's
what it says on the kantele). If I understood correctly, this piece of art was
just one of the many by Gallen-Kallela that Don used for inspiration when
creating the story and the characters.

> Message: 2
> From: "Don Rosa" <donrosa at iglou.com>
> How $crooge found his cane again is unimportant, and I
> leave it to you: A) he dug it up. B) One of the nephews dug it up. C)
> Donald decided to dig it up for a reward D) $crooge beat Donald senseless
> with his fists until he told where it was. E) ... (well, you get the idea.
> It doesn't matter).

OK, so the cain is in order. However, did the last page of the Finnish book
appear in the prints of the story in other countries - and if it didn't, did
poor $crooge get his _hat_ back at all?