Donald's new old neighbour

Knut Hunstad Knut.Hunstad at civil.sintef.no
Fri Dec 17 12:06:45 CET 1999

Hi!

> > His name in danish is Hr. Naevenyttig, mening something
> like annoying
Well, I guess I shouldn't be disputing danish with a dane, but I am actually
_born_ in Denmark, so I'll risk it :-) And we have the same word in
norwegian also...

Naevenyttig doesn't _directly_ mean annoying! A direct translation would be
something like: [Someone with] "useful fists". Not in the meaning of a good
fighter, but beeing good at fixing things, using hammer and saw etc. The
opposite of having "ten thumbs", (which I'm not sure is used in english, but
I guess it's quite clear what it means?).

If the word "Naevenyttig" is used in danish about someone "annoying" (which
I wouldn't say is so in norwegian, where the word is used in a positive
sense [there might of course be local variations of this in Norway, but I'm
not aware of any!]), it could be explained by noting that someone very
"Naevenyttig" might be annoyingly effective keeping house and garden in
order, in the eyes of a normal person (or particularly in the eyes of a
person like DD...).

What the characters name in norwegian is, I don't know, but I'll see if I
can check it up some time! If someone else doesn't beat me to it...

Knut Hunstad
Trondheim, Norway