DCML digest, Vol 1 #24 - 6 msgs

Ridout ridout5 at erols.com
Mon Dec 20 02:36:13 CET 1999

DON:

Your comment on the importance of practice was very, very well said. I get
extremely tired of my friends saying that they wish that they could draw
like me. They completely fail to notice the fact that I have been taking art
lessons since I was 6 years old. It is amazing how many people do not
realize the extreme amount of work that goes into being good at something.

I do not believe that it is merely becoming good at drawing that will make a
good cartoonist, though. I think that English and History are nearly as
important. As you've proved with your amazing stories about the Yukon, etc.
Having a good background in history (and doing lots of supplementary
research) can really add a lot more demension to a story. And good art does
not save a bad story, so a cartoonist needs a lot of experience at writing
well, and storytelling (I know you agree with me on this one). I hope to
become a cartoonist some day as well. This year I am filling out my college
applications, and to many of my friends suprise, I have decided not to go to
art school. I'm going to attend a liberal arts college and minor in either
history or english (still going to major in art, though), because I feel
this will give me a much more well-rounded education and help me in pursuing
my career.

Finally, I have never recovered since 'Nick at Nite' took my favorite t.v.
show off the air when I was 11 (*sob*). How I miss Don Adams! My very first
purchase on ebay was a 'Get Smart' agent 99 ring, and NOBODY has the
slightest idea who the picture on it is. Glad to hear you're a fan too...

rebecca