DCML digest, Vol 1 #26 - 8 msgs

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Tue Dec 21 14:27:21 CET 1999

From: Teme
>>>But I have a question: if I remember correctly your stories usually take
place around 50 ties, 60 ties or something like this, right? So why did
you leave in what look like cell phone relay masts to the panel 1 on
page 25 (the one where Iku-Turso & Louhi find themselves in front of the
Helsinki central station

I knew very well that there were buildings on that side of that panel that
did not exist in the mid-50s when that story (and all my stories) takes
place. All of those Helsinki panels were traced overactual photos taken
from various angles from Helsinki street corners that I specifically
described to a friend. It was impossible for me to have photos taken of
those precise views in 1955, so I had to settle for 1999. Actually, I
originally was careful to include only buildings that existed in 1955...
the train station, the Old Student Building, Stockmann's, the Cathedral,
etc. But when I looked at the Train Station shot where I would insert
Iku-Turso who is supposed to look very perplexed and small when surrounded
by a huge, modern city, it did not look right because there were no
buildings on the left side of the photo, resulting in him looking very
UNcrowded. So I had the photographer shift the angle further to the left to
catch the buildings there. These buildings were obviously newer, but I
could not know what was there 45 years ago, so I went with it. However, I
figured those towers were radio towers, which they are, but not cel phone
radio towers. Surely the buildings looked more outta-place than the radio
towers.