DCML digest, Vol 1 #25 - 19 msgs

bhc@primenet.com bhc at primenet.com
Wed Dec 22 17:00:11 CET 1999

HOY wrote to DON ROSA:

>I [k]now from speaking to you at Mid-Ohio Con that you are not hopeful
>for a resumption for regular publication of Disney Comics in the U.S., but it
>seems to me that perhaps a one-shot or annual publication of a collection of
>your new stories might be easier to accomplish.

Any publication using Disney properties involves getting a license from
Disney. And what I understand about the terms currently under discussion
between Disney and Steve Geppi for periodical comics leads me to believe a
one-shot and/or annual license would take just as long to negotiate. Maybe
longer.

In short, there's just no easy way around the situation as it stands.

But, be of good cheer. Disney comics in the U.S. may be down, but they're
not out. The U.S. comics market still exists, and shows some tentative
signs of recovering from the severe drubbing of the past decade. Disney and
Steve Geppi & Co. want Disney comics to be there, even if arranging it has
proven to be more of a challenge than anyone expected.

Gary

"I took the liberty of updating your resume. I'm guessing you'll need it
soon" - the world's smartest garbage man