German version of Rosas Kalevala-story

sschridde@gmx.de sschridde at gmx.de
Tue Dec 28 16:13:06 CET 1999

Hi all, Hi Don,

I just wanted to share with you the nice news that the German
translators imho did a very swell job when translating Rosas Kalevala-
story (though the German "Die Jagd nach der Goldmuehle" (Quest for
the Goldmill) doesn't reflect the depth of the story, instead sounds
like something technical rather than mythological (at least to me).
But I can't think of a better title either. :-))

All the mytholgical speeches are separated from "normal" speech by a
different lettering,and it mostly keeps a certain rhyme (4 stresses
(right English word for jambus/jamben???) per line).
Besides, the wording in the rhyme sounds quite old-fashioned and
suiting, though I doubt some (few) words - though uncommon - were in
use in older times, for example Glubscher, Gucken, Foerderung...

but these are only few nitpickings in many, many lines of very nicely
trimmed, old-fashioned speech with uncommon words that can be
understood, but would only few think of when being put in the place
of the translator. congrats!

And besides I appreciate very much that again Germany does not lower
the level of speech to a supposed "childish" level and thus taking a
big part of fascination off the story.

P.S.: Really no one willing to spend some time and using his/her
fantasy on a draft sketch for a disney tattoo as mentioned some
digests ago???

Soeren

Soeren Schridde

--- keine Regierung ist gewillt, ueber den Tellerrand
hinauszublicken, weil der Teller allein ihren Machterhalt
garantiert.                   Rudolf Augstein, 1998  ---

Martinistr. 52, 49078 Osnabrueck, Germany, Earth
eMail: sschridde at gmx.de
(2nd: sschridde at t-online.de)
Tel./Fax: Acc.Code+ (0)541/150764

at my parents':
Luisenweg 33, 38302 Wolfenbuettel, Germany, Earth
Tel.: Acc.Code+ (0)5331/978268