(no subject)

andrae andrae at global.california.com
Wed Dec 29 18:37:21 CET 1999

Let me try to clarify things a bit more concerning the Gottfredson strip
reprints I did.  I came  up with the idea for reprinting all the
Gottfredson adventures in the mid-1970s.  Horst Schroeder suppllied me with
proof sheets for the adventures from 1946 to 1955.  I still have copies of
these. I also was able to obtain proof copies of a few stories, like the
whaling story, from Bill Wright.  However, most of the material from the
years of 1930 to 1945 were from a collection of original strips that I had
located.  The strips from 1930 were tremdously difficult to find because
they only appeared in a handful of newspapers.   Bill Blackbeard from the
San Francisco Academy of comic Art also supplied a few strips. There were
no missing strips.  I wouln't have gone ahead with the project if anything
had been missing.

Then I contacted Bruce Hamilton about finding some way to have them copied
and he gave me Byron's name.  Byron did all the copying and arranged to
have them bound.  it was a tremendous amount of work and we should all be
grateful to him for without his help the project would never have seen the
light of day.  To my knowledge all the completed sets were hardbound in
books.  I had no idea that Horst was going to market these books.  As far
as I was concerned they were produced for a few fans of the Mickey daily
strips.

Best Wishes,

Tom Andrae

Robin Andrae