april fools, translators

Anders Christian Sivebaek acsive at mail.mira.dk
Wed Apr 5 17:03:36 CEST 2000

Hi
Let me first say that I noticed Kriton's april gag very much. As usual
I'm naive and I wrote at once to him and asked, what he wants in
return... fooled!
Don is the basis of two gags this april then. A fun person on  the
norwegian newsgroup with the subject comics fooled everyone.

But anyway, isn't it wish-thinking more than fooling? wouldn't it be
great with a story done especially for Komix? BTW Kriton you goofed on
the K-code, that's reserved for Disney Studios in the 90'es, for some
reason...

I understand John garvin saying as he does, also because he's a writer
and artist himself. But don't be too hard on Stefan Diös (It's at least
usual to spell the name right:-) He's a talented translator, and it
seems to necessary at some times to correct mistakes.

Denmark is also giftet with a good translator I think. Mr.
Soendergaard. is his name and he's been there since 1992 -His first job
might have been the Lo$ starting chapters, on Rosaic terms I mean.
The combination of Rosa's talent of drawing and telling combined with
the translators weel translated wordpuns is great. He even made a
better joke than Don in the 10th chapter of Lo$. In the american
version Mathilda says that the Canoe-dragging story was more likely
(Scrooge and Teodore Roosevelt have been talking about what happened
since chapter 4). The danish one mentions the soft gold, and Mathilda
says a very catchy thing, maybe to modern. "Then we believe that one!
And the one about the soft gold." (Scrooge just told that he will fill
the bin to the top 100 feet.

With the Kalevala there was some mistakes, but they aren't his fault,
but some other leak on the line, I am told.

AC