Harry: Saving time

JALustig@aol.com JALustig at aol.com
Thu Aug 17 02:28:02 CEST 2000

Harry:

<< I don't think computers were invented to save people time. That didn't work
for me, anyway: I spend 8 to 10 hours a day behind a computer, and I
wouldn't earn my money without them. Most of all, using a computer is *fun*.
My recent trip to the USA just shows that: I met a lot of people whom I
would never have heard of if the internet did not exist.

Of course I don't need to convince you of that. But maybe mr. Van Horn can
reconsider?... 8-)

Well...I seem to remember that when home computers first started appearing
that the media (or the manufacturers)  proclaimed that they were going to
save us from a lot of druge work. And in some respects that proved true. What
nobody mentioned was the great amount of work that it would take to learn the
programs and keep the computer happy and working properly. (I've given up
threatening my computer. Instead, I've started praying to it and offering
sacrifices--in the form of huge amounts of cash for upgrades--to keep it
happy.)

But you're right about computers being fun (sometimes.) Meeting nice fans
from Holland is just one of the benefits. Thanks for posting the pics from
your American adventure...although for some reason your pictures make it look
like I'm going a little bald.

As far as Van Horn reconsidering...well, Bill and his wife, Elaine, are going
to be visiting us in a couple of days and I'll be showing him some stuff on
my computer that'll hopefully intrigue him. But I'm not holding my
breath...waiting for him to join the 20th Century...much less the 21st.

By the way--for those handful of you in the Seattle area--Bill Van Horn will
be the featured speaker this Friday, Aug. 18, at 7 p.m. at Cartoonist
Norwest. The meeting is held at the School of Visual Concepts, 500 Aurora
Ave. N. in Seattle and is free to the public...although there is a suggested
donation of $1 to help pay for the cost of the room.

--John Lustig