The Once and Future Scrooge?

Søren Krarup Olesen sko at acoustics.dk
Wed Aug 23 11:56:20 CEST 2000

F. A. ELLIOT + HALVOR:

> This is an italian story written by Attilio Mazzanti and drawn by
> Luciano Gatto (one of my favourites) in 1961. It's called 'Paperino... Anno
> 2001' (I TL 309-A) and has also been printed in pocket-books in several
> countries (see Inducks).

Funny! Exactly the same story came to my mind, but I think I have
mentioned it before on this list, on another occation.

> Well, this is a very nice story, but for some reasons the first panel is
> drawn by Perego.

Yes, there is a page missing in the Egmont/Gutenberghus reprint. I once
asked Marco (or was it Eta Beta?) to do a scan of the two first pages,
and I managed to find these. Take a look at

http://raptus.dk/tmp/2001_1.jpg

http://raptus.dk/tmp/2001_2.jpg

Perhaps the editors found the splash panel to be a bit too futuristic,
taking the story into account--it's not really a science-fiction story,
well at least in the soft or parodic end of the scale.

> The part where Doanld and the boys go back to the past, also looks
> a bit strange, so I suspect that something is edited away. Does
> someone know what really happened here?

The situation at this point of the story is rather nightmare like, but I
don't think anything was changed.

Søren