passing of Barks

Cebarat@aol.com Cebarat at aol.com
Sat Aug 26 20:50:03 CEST 2000

I got the bad news on rec.arts.animation yesterday morning (11:00 a.m. EDT).
I ALMOST posted it to DCML at that time, but opted to wait until I had had it
confirmed by other sources...

The passing of Carl Barks is definitely a sad occasion... but should also be
the occasion for an outpouring of immense gratitude on the part of his fans.
What other comic-book artist is so universally beloved for the legacy that he
has created -- a legacy that continues to live on in dozens of countries
around the world (though not, alas, the country that gave it birth)?  Despite
the state of Disney comics in America, I don't think we have to worry about
Barks' work (and the work it has inspired in others) sinking into oblivion.
Like the classic fables and fairy tales, it will continue to entertain and
inspire for generations to come.

I am glad that Barks was able to enjoy a long retirement in which he finally
received the public recognition he deserved.  I would have liked to have seen
him reach the century mark, but not at the cost of quality of life.

Farewell & thank you, Mr. Barks!

Chris Barat